The first large column test or extended column test (ECT) - quick summary of the ECT, I will only go into details for the PST - including a video below from ASARC
- aims to assess both fracture/failure initiation and propagation across an isolated column
- requires an isolated column similar to the standard compression test, but on a larger scale (30cm x 90cm wide) compared to 30cm x 30cm used for the compression test.
- The column is then loaded from one side using the same technique as
the compression test. (loading area in below figure)
- Recent research with the ECT shows that results are most accurate when the weak layer is less than 70cm deep - for weak layers > 70cm deep consider the use of the PST
- Interpreting and Recording Results As: